Is South Congress Austin Safe?
In general, you’re probably pretty safe if you stick to the typical tourist areas (which in Austin aren’t very touristy). These include: Congress Ave just south of the river (i.e. “South Congress”) Downtown around the capital, city hall, 6th St, Red River, etc.
Where are the bad areas of Austin?
Most Dangerous Neighborhoods In Austin, TX
- East Cesar Chavez. Population 3,152. 245 % Violent Crimes 1,317 crimes / 100k people. …
- Mlk. Population 4,121. 157 % …
- Holly. Population 3,157. 151 % …
- McKinney. Population 3,150. 149 % …
- Riverside. Population 12,906. 118 % …
- Saint Johns. Population 9,414. 111 % …
- Rosewood. Population 5,701. 99 % …
- Bouldin. Population 5,585. 96 %
Is South Austin a good place to live?
If you want to be close to the beating heart of bohemian Austin, South Congress and South Lamar are still the best places to live in Austin. … South Congress (aka SoCo) sits south of Lady Bird Lake across the Colorado River: food, fun, shopping and plenty of live music are a major draw to the area.
What is the best area to stay in Austin?
The best areas to stay in Austin, Texas
- Best area: 6th Street District. Austin’s 6th Street District is techinally a part of Downtown Austin, but has a unique character that makes it have its own entry on this list. …
- Downtown Austin. …
- East Austin. …
- Around the University of Texas campus. …
- South Congress Avenue.
Is Austin a ghetto?
No. There are no ghettos in Austin. Some pretend white liberals have a problem with the areas with high concentrations of Latinos (east of 35, parts of North Lamar) but there are no ghettos here.
Where should I not live in Austin?
Here are the 10 worst neighborhoods in Austin according to data:
- Martin Luther King-Hwy 183.
- Saint Johns.
- East Congress.
- North Burnett.
- Parker Lane.
Is Austin Texas expensive to live in?
How Expensive Is Living in Austin? Austin is a moderately expensive place to live, but it also has comparably high wages to offset the cost of living. The median home in Austin costs $347,000, which is far higher than the median in Texas ($185,000) or the U.S. overall ($238,000).
What are the safest neighborhoods in Austin Texas?
Safest places to live in Austin area*:
- Old Enfield.
- West Lake Hills.
- Windsor Road.
What is the racial makeup of Austin Texas?
The 5 largest ethnic groups in Austin, TX are White (Non-Hispanic) (48.8%), White (Hispanic) (22%), Other (Hispanic) (8.21%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (8.13%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (7.59%). 32% of the people in Austin, TX speak a non-English language, and 87.5% are U.S. citizens.
Why is Austin so expensive?
Living in Austin is so much more expensive than other parts of Texas because Austin housing costs way more than other Texas cities like Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio and Houston. … Dallas is near the top of the list for business relocation and Houston is near the top for energy and health.
What should I know before moving to Austin?
10 Things You Should Know Before Moving to Austin
- Austin is the best place to live – and retire. …
- Austin is green. …
- Austin is a great city for homebuyers. …
- Austin is a rising tech city. …
- Austin is a happy city. …
- Austin is a top restaurant – and beer – city. …
- Austin is a music city. …
- Austin is a festival city.
Where should I live in my 30s Austin?
East Austin, more specifically the area with a 78702 zip code, is the perfect place for thirty-somethings to live. If you want to have an apartment in an area where the Live Music Capital of the World lives up to its name, East Austin is where you want to be.
Is Austin Texas a walkable city?
Austin is known for a lot of things, but its walkability isn’t one of them—in fact, it’s a middling 33rd most walkable in the country, by at least one metric, which gives it a walk score of 40 out of 100.
What is the famous street in Austin?